Wednesday, February 3, 2010

.::Empathy::.

Empathy:: : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner




So it is real interesting to me the pressures and experiences that each and every person goes though.
I have been thinking about different people in my life and where they are in their lives.
The single life is so much different from married life and married life with a child is different than the rest. Even married adults with adult children is a callenge and even those old lady's or and old man have their own challenges too.
I have always been the kind of person that I can understand what someone is going through without really going through it.
In the past few weeks I have came across a handful of people talking to me about what they have been going through and I have found these experiences interesting and i have learned a lot and it has gotten me thinking a lot. A lot about me and my life and where I want to be and what I want to do. For examples...
I have a friend that just recently got a divorce and I can relate to him in ways because I have the same kind of heartache. He went through the same things I went through but I was never married but he felt the same with his relationship as I felt with my relationship that I had. His Mom gave him a talk to read and shared some of it with me and this talk has helped me look at my situation and life a little differently. I know the Lord works through people and I think people come into your life for a reason.

This talk is called The Best Is Yet To Be by Jeffrey R. Holland. These are a few parts of the talk that really impacted me, but I still would recommend reading the whole thing. :)

"The past is to be learned from but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead and remember that faith is always pointed toward the future. Faith always has to do with blessings and truths and events that will yet be efficacious in our lives."

"When something is over and done with, when it has been repented of as fully as it can be repented of, when life has moved on as it should and a lot of other wonderfully good things have happened since then, it is not right to go back and open some ancient wound that the Son of God Himself died to heal."

"Such dwelling on past lives, including past mistakes, is just not right! It is not the gospel of Jesus Christ. In some ways it is worse than Lot’s wife because at least she destroyed only herself. In cases of marriage and family, wards and branches, apartments and neighborhoods, we can end up destroying so many others."

"The proviso, of course, is that repentance has to be sincere, but when it is and when honest effort is being made to progress, we are guilty of the greater sin if we keep remembering and recalling and rebashing someone with his or her earlier mistakes—and that someone might be ourselves. We can be so hard on ourselves—often much more so than on others! Now, like the Anti-Nephi-Lehies of the Book of Mormon, bury your weapons of war and leave them buried (see Alma 24). Forgive and do that which is sometimes harder than to forgive: forget. And when it comes to mind again, forget it again."

"Dismiss the destructive, and keep dismissing it until the beauty of the Atonement of Christ has revealed to you your bright future and the bright future of your family, your friends, and your neighbors. God doesn’t care nearly as much about where you have been as He does about where you are and, with His help, where you are willing to go. That is the thing Lot’s wife didn’t get—and neither did Laman and Lemuel and a host of others in the scriptures."

"Keep your eyes on your dreams, however distant and far away. Live to see the miracles of repentance and forgiveness, of trust and divine love that will transform your life today, tomorrow, and forever. That is a New Year’s resolution I ask you to keep."



I also have been listening to these old ladies at my work tell me how much they miss their home and how homesick they are because they are making the transition from living in their own home to now living in an assisted living center. Wow, life is one big journey.
I think we all have a tendency to look back at the good times and long to go back. Long to feel that way that we felt, if it be the lack of spirit that we do not have because of previous mistakes or just the longing to feel loved again and or happy again like we once were.

Also there has been changes happening at my work... there was a sweet old man and TWO sweet old woman that I worked with that died. This is the first three that I really knew that died and they were all so sweet. My heart is full of gratitude for life and others lives...




0 comments: